We invite you to learn good information in a nutsell, we call them Health Nuggets, share them with family and friends!
The wonderful smell of rosemary is often associated with good food and great times. But it could just as easily be associated with good health. Rosemary contains substances that are useful for stimulating the immune system, increasing circulation, and improving digestion. Rosemary also contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may make it useful for reducing the severity of asthma attacks. In addition, rosemary has been shown to increase the blood flow to the head and brain, improving concentration.
- Dietary fiber speeds transition of food and slows absorption of calories, aiding weight loss and helping to prevent diabetes. Dietary fiber is only found in plant foods—never beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, eggs, milk, or cheese.Coloncancer arises from polyps—35 percent of people consuming the typical Western diet are found to have colon polyps. Meat, fat, and the lack of fruits, vegetables, and dietary fiber are the primary causes of polyps and subsequent colon cancer. Gastro esophageal reflux disease, or GERD, is the backward flow of stomach contents—which contains acid—into the esophagus. It results from an incompetent lower esophageal sphincter. Years of unhealthful eating cause sphincter malfunction. A plant-based diet is ideal for the health of this part of the intestine—esophagus and stomach. John A. McDougall, M.D
- Missing cream in your diet? This is a magic ingredient that makes it easy to live without dairy products. Makes about 2 1/4 cups of thick cream or 3 1/2 cups regular cream. Add 2 cups whole raw cashews (not pieces, which are often dry), rinsed very well under cold water. Put the cashews in a bowl and add cold water to cover them. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. Drain the cashews and rinse under cold water. Place them in a blender with enough fresh cold water to cover them by 1 inch. Blend on high for several minutes until very smooth. (If you’re not using a professional high-speed blender such as a Vita-Mix, which creates an ultra smooth cream, strain the cashew cream through a fine-mesh sieve.) Making thick cashew cream, simply reduce the amount of water when they are placed in the blender so the water just slightly covers the cashews.
- Grapefruit is an acid fruit, which is highly alkaline in reaction. It is a natural antiseptic for wounds, when used externally. Grapefruit is an amazing medicine for the heart. It contains compounds that lower cholesterol, and help to reverse atherosclerosis. The therapeutic pectin resides in the cell walls, so to get the cholesterol-lowering effect, one must eat the chewy part.
- Grapefruit helps dissolve inorganic calcium in the cartilage of joints, as in arthritis, as a result of an excessive consumption of devitalized white flour and white sugar products, which are acid-reacting products. Fresh grapefurit contains organic salicylic acid, which aids in dissolving inorganic calcium in the body. It works against any hardening of body tissue, such as hardening of the liver and the arteries. It also helps in preventing stone formation.
- Oranges are excellent for treating over-acid body conditions, constipation or a sluggish intestinal tract. In the case of acidosis, drink orange juice or eat oranges after meals. In the case of insufficient stomach acid, start the meal with a peeled orange or a glass of orange juice.
- Lemons can be used effectively in cases of influenza. They seem to have the property of increasing elimination through the skin, and therefore help reduce fever. Lemon juice is also a wonderful germicide, which has destroyed at least 20 different types of germs.
- A sore throat clears up by gargling it with lemon juice. Lemons are wonderful for fevers, because a feverish body responds to the citric acid fruits better than to any other food. Urate stones have been dissolved through the ingestion of lemon juice. Drinking the jujice of one or two lemons a day has been effective in 50% of the cases.
- God has given us every instruction necessary for our physical, mental, and moral well-being; and it is the duty of every one of us to bring our habits of life into conformity with the divine standard in every particular. Will the Lord be pleased with anything less than the best we can offer? “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart.” If you do love Him with all your heart you will desire to give Him the best service of your life, and you will seek to bring every power of your being into harmony with the laws that will promote your ability to do His will.
- Our bodies are 50-60% water and we loose approximately 80 oz of water daily through normal body functions, and this needs replacing each day. This is done by eating a diet of natural foods that contain water and by drinking enough pure water to keep the urine pale to clear. A dry mouth, chapped lips and being thirsty can be signs of dehydration. Water should not be taken with meals and drank no closer than ½ hour before or 1 hour after meals.
- Cortisol, known as the “stress hormone”, is associated with weight gain. Cortisol levels are elevated by various means including the use of caffeine. Cortisol levels can be controlled by avoiding all caffeine, proper rest, drinking the needed amount of water, regular exercise and wholesome nutrition. Without these natural 'remedies', even rigorous dieting will not be able to reach and maintain one's proper healthy weight while cortisol levels are elevated. Our bodies and minds need a balanced approach for optimal health.
- “Taste the rainbow” was an ad slogan for a popular candy some time ago, and this is a good rule for an optimal diet. Eating many colors of fruits and vegetables will assure us of gaining the proper nutrition our body demands. Avoid falling into diet “ruts” where a narrow choice of foods is consumed. Mix it up! No, not all at once, but over the days and weeks, enjoying those things in season as much as possible. Use a variety of grains but avoid those multi-grain mixtures that are not the best for how our bodies digest foods. Keep each meal simple.
- The good news concerning eggplant is that the predominant phenolic compound found in all varieties tested is chlorogenic acid, which is one of the most potent free radical scavengers found in plant tissues. Benefits attributed to chlorogenic acid include antimutagenic (anti-cancer), antimicrobial, anti-LDL (bad cholesterol) and antiviral activities. Research on eggplant has focused on an anthocyanin phytonutrient found in eggplant skin called nasunin. Nasunin is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage.
- One out of four Americans will die from cancer. Pioneers in the fields of biochemistry and human nutrition now believe CVD and most cancers are really diseases of fatty degeneration caused by the continued over-consumption of saturated fats and refined vegetable oils that turn essential fatty acids into carcinogenic killers. Sadly it is ignorance of human nutritional needs that will cause this overwhelming majority of Americans to die slowly from these afflictions. Seeds of the plant cannabis sativa, hemp seed, contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. No other single plant source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs. Hemp is not unique in having all the essential amino acids in its embryonic seed. Flax seeds also contain all the essential amino acids as do many other seeds in the plant kingdom. What is unique about hemp seed protein is that 65% of it is globulin edistin. That is the highest in the plant kingdom.
- The cancer protection we get from Brussels sprouts is largely related to four specific glucosinolates found in this cruciferous vegetable: glucoraphanin, glucobrassicin, sinigrin, and gluconasturtiian. Research has shown that Brussels sprouts offer these cancer-preventive components in special combination. For total glucosinolate content, Brussels sprouts are now known to top the list of commonly eaten cruciferous vegetables. Their total glucosinolate content has been shown to be greater than the amount found in mustard greens, turnip greens, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, or broccoli.